Tag Archives: Archival Photo

The great Goan poet and aesthete Bakibab Borkar (1919-1984) was fond of saying that the beauty and character of Goa had a becalming effect not only on us mortals but on the Gods as well. Beyond his penchant for poetic flourish, Bakibab knew that it was in Goa that the bellicose Durga underwent a personality […]

View full post »

This installment of Panjim Promenade puts the spotlight on Tobacco Square (Largo do Estanco in Portuguese). The Tobacco Square is bounded by the General Post Office, the São Tomé chapel and Casa da Moeda. What is now the General Post Office originally started out as a depot for trading tobacco whence the name of the […]

View full post »

The village of Reis Magos in Goa‘s Bardez taluka is exquisitely located on the waterline across the bay from Panjim, and is named after the three biblical Magi Kings. Among its treasures are the eponymous church and fort. The beautiful Church of Reis Magos, built in 1555, is among Goa‘s oldest. Symbols in bas relief […]

View full post »