Tag Archives: Old Goa

Sé Cathedral

December is a festive time in the historic village of Old Goa, now a World Heritage site. Sé Cathedral was elevated to the rank of a cathedral in 1533, and the final structure was completed in 1619. It is the largest church in India. The second image below was taken from the hill at the […]

View full post »

Basilica of Bom Jesus

The Basilica of Bom Jesus (1594-1605) in Old Goa, 6 miles east of the Goa’s capital Panjim, occupies a very special place in the consciousness of the Goan Catholic community. Deliberate photography of this structure is not an easy undertaking. During the day there is a steady stream of pilgrims and tourists milling around the […]

View full post »

Chapel on the Hill

When Afonso de Albuquerque first tried to claim Goa in 1510, his men encountered fierce resistance from Adil Shah’s forces from their vantage point atop a hillock in Old Goa. Stunned by the intensity of the opposition Albuquerque was forced to retreat. But he was to return in a few months and dislodge Adil Shah. […]

View full post »